Preservatives are the chemical substances which are used in the processed food such as tinned food, ready to eat food, meat etc. in order to enhance their shelf life which also prevents oxidation, color determination, and spoiling of the food. These preservatives are no doubt a very good stuff to the food manufacturers but they impact the human body badly. They have several detrimental effects on human health.
The most common used preservatives in the processed food are sulphates, Nitrites, Nitrates, Sodium, benzoic acid, Propyl gallate etc.
All of them are nothing but a dangerous chemical substance that affects the human health very poorly. Here are the main impacts of preservatives on human health.
- Cancer is the first risk factor of preservatives. High amount antioxidants such as Propyl gallate can lead to several types of cancer.
- Heart disease is another result of consuming too much processed food which contains a high amount of preservatives.
- Phosphate is another preservative that is frequently added to food to enhance the taste, color and shelf life but sadly this preservative accelerates the aging process.
- Preservatives are bad for the liver as well. If the processed food contains too much of fructose they get to the liver directly and get stored there to affect the liver health negatively.
- High cholesterol, diabetes is also the result of preservatives.
- Too much sodium in processed food damage the blood vessels and enhance the blood pressure which again results in stroke, heart failure etc.
- Breathing issues are also experienced by the preservatives.
Obesity is another bad effect of preservatives.